Clothing Store in Charleston, SC Since 1883!
Berlin’s was founded on the simple belief that quality and good taste are timeless. And while each generation may reshape this belief in the fashion of their day, the common thread of excellence remains. At Berlin’s we are dedicated to superior merchandise with sincere service that includes our guarantee of your satisfaction for the life of the garment.
Berlin’s was founded at the corner of King & Broad in downtown Charleston more than 130 years ago. The clothing store was opened on September 20, 1883, by Henry Berlin, who came to the United States from Eastern Europe with $1.38 in his pocket. He started making money peddling and selling out of his car until eventually amassing enough to open the store. Berlin’s survived the massive earthquake that rocked Charleston in 1886.
In 1912, the business was turned over to his sons Sam and Ben Berlin. When Ben settled in New York in 1914, Sam Berlin took charge and their partnership was dissolved in 1932. In 1958, Sam Berlin retired, and Henry Berlin joined his brother Alwyn in the firm. Henry plays an active role in the store to this day. Alwyn Berlin died in 1978.
The clothing store survived a second major disaster in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo struck Charleston.
In 2004, stewardship changed again when Henry’s two children, son Steven Berlin and daughter Elaine Berlin officially took over the running of Berlin’s. Steven, who has worked at the clothing store for more than 30 years, has made it his mission to not only stay true to traditional styles but also to introduce new, updated and current clothing.
“We have always had and continue to have impeccable clothing and the highest standard of customer service. We have found it important to introduce new lines from Italy, other European countries & North America. We have broadened our horizons and now carry clothing that appeals to men of all ages.”
The history of Berlin’s has been written at the corner of King & Broad, and we hope that the next century will find another smiling Berlin welcoming customers at this famous address.
Family Owned and Operated for Four Generations
Alwyn and Henry Berlin